Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TSA Backlash Week: Resources, And A Reminder From Penn Jillette

My friend Robb sends along links to a couple of websites helping build resistance to the TSA's intrusive security procedures:

FLY WITH DIGNITY: "Wre an organization seeking advocacy and recognition of the TSA’s and DHS’s actions against our privacy and right to refuse unwarranted search." Pictures seem a little overwrought, but I otherwise agree with them. Sign the petition!

NATIONAL OPT-OUT DAY: "The goal of National Opt Out Day is to send a message to our lawmakers that we demand change. We have a right to privacy and buying a plane ticket should not mean that we're guilty until proven innocent. This day is needed because many people do not understand what they consent to when choosing to fly."

Robb also sends along this 2002 post from Penn Jillette, which reminds us we've been building to this point for a long time:

Last Thursday I was flying to LA on the Midnight flight. I went through security my usual sour stuff. I beeped, of course, and was shuttled to the "toss-em" line. A security guy came over. I assumed the position. I had a button up shirt on that was untucked. He reached around while he was behind me and grabbed around my front pocket. I guess he was going for my flashlight, but the area could have loosely been called "crotch." I said, "You have to ask me before you touch me or it's assault."

He said, "Once you cross that line, I can do whatever I want."

I said that wasn't true. I say that I have the option of saying no and not flying. He said, "Are you going to let me search you, or do I just throw you out?"

I said, "Finish up, and then call the police please."

When he was finished with my shoes, he said, "Okay, you can go."

I said, "I'd like to see your supervisor and I'd like LVPD to come here as well. I was assaulted by you."

He said, "You're free to go, there's no problem."

I said, "I have a problem, please send someone over."

It goes from there. Most of us haven't expressed Jillette's level of outrage about these procedures, which is why we've arrived at this point. It's TSA Backlash Week!

No comments: