Thursday, November 3, 2011

Guilty as charged

Cooking is the easiest thing to do in the house. But what women are still expected to do, what my wife is still expected to do, is to remember when every sock in the house is about to get a hole in it, or when the kids are due for a dentist’s appointment or a play date – that whole recipe for family life, women still feel obliged to do it more than men. And so men do get a certain kind of cheap credit for being a family man just by cooking. Cooking is the showy side of domesticity.

Gonna have to examine my conscience on that one...

1 comment:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I've seen this happen way too many times. Sometimes I wonder how my friends' husbands managed to get out of bed on their own before marriage. This is often played off as endearing. I tend to see it otherwise.